Which quantum technology course is right for you?
Studying a postgraduate quantum technology course can be a rewarding experience.
You can explore subject areas you’re passionate about in more depth, learn a range of new transferable skills, and collaborate and connect with like-minded peers and academics to build a global network.
A postgraduate certificate can also boost your career prospects and help you meet your goals, whether that’s advancing in your current role or organisation or pivoting to a new pathway.
When it comes to employability, postgraduates are well-positioned for success. According to the UK government’s graduate labour market statistics (2021), the employment rate for working-age postgraduates in 2021 was 88.2%, compared to 86.7% for graduates, and 70.2% for non-graduates.
Mapping the change in the quantum landscape, data from Innovate UK KTN highlights the increasing investment in quantum technology research and industries. This rise in investment – a reflection of the emerging growing economy – also signals an increase in opportunities for quantum-literate professionals. So, there’s never been a better time to study a postgraduate quantum technology course.
Studying a quantum technology course at the University of Sussex
Here at the University of Sussex, we’re proud to announce the launch of our new Quantum Technology Applications and Management MSc (online), the first of its kind in the UK. The fully online course combines quantum science with practical business skills, drawing on expertise from world-leading academics at the School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences, and teachings from the University of Sussex Business School.
The course has been designed to offer students as much flexibility as possible, and as part of that commitment, we have four different entry points available. The qualification you study will ultimately depend on your needs, what modules you’d like to explore, and how long you’re able to study.
In this blog, we’ll look at the four different qualifications (listed below) in more depth to help you make an informed and empowered decision about your future.
- Quantum Technology Applications and Management MSc (online) – the full MSc mixes science and business, so you’ll develop your theoretical knowledge while also learning how to develop quantum-focused strategies. At the end of the course, you’ll have the unique opportunity to practically apply everything you’ve learnt to a real project
- Quantum Technology Fast Track PG Dip (online) – combining scientific rigour with business-focused strategies, you’ll develop your scientific understanding while also learning innovative techniques for commercialising quantum technologies
- Advanced Quantum Technology and Applications PG Cert (online) – comprised of four science-focused modules, you’ll learn everything you need to know about four key aspects of quantum technology
- Foundation of Quantum Technology Management PG Cert (online) – designed to give you an introductory overview of quantum physics, you’ll also learn about commercialising new technologies.
Before we dive further into the specific qualifications available, you’ll need to know more about the modules on offer. With an innovative curriculum that combines science and business, our modules have been grouped together in what we refer to as ‘carousels’. Below you’ll find more information about the different modules that make up our three exciting carousels.*
*Disclaimer: This blog was published January 2023. The University of Sussex has made every effort to ensure that this information is both helpful and accurate but some changes, for example to courses, facilities, or fees, may become necessary due to legitimate staffing, financial, regulatory, or academic reasons.
|Carousel 1||Carousel 2||Carousel 3|
|Foundations of Quantum Mechanics (15 credits)||Atom-Light Interactions and Photonics (15 credits)||
Project Design (15 credits)
|Applications of Quantum Technology (15 credits)||Materials for Quantum and Nanotechnologies (15 credits)||Skills for Quantum Technology (15 credits)|
|Foundations of Quantum Computing (15 credits)||Quantum Networks and Secure Communications (15 credits)||
Project (30 credits)
|Emerging Markets for Quantum Technology (15 credits)||Sensing and Imaging (15 credits)|
Quantum Technology Applications and Management MSc (online)
The Master of Science (MSc) requires you to complete all the modules from all three of the carousels for a total of 180 credits. It will take a minimum of two years to complete although it can take longer if you choose to take a study break between modules.
You’ll develop an advanced understanding of the scientific principles that underpin quantum technology while learning how to commercialise new technologies, assess their viability for the market, and develop long-term quantum-focused strategies that drive innovation. By completing the modules in Carousel 3, you’ll have the unique opportunity to apply the knowledge you’ve gained from the first two carousels to a real project.
This qualification is perfect for you if you want to develop a deep scientific and commercial understanding of quantum technologies and apply this knowledge by conducting a major research project in collaboration with one of our expert faculty members. By undertaking this quantum technology course, you’ll have the ability to commit to at least two years of study. With our MSc, you’ll acquire in-demand technical skills and knowledge, including:
- programming skills and how to use Python programming language in a scientific context
- the operation of microcontrollers and how to use stimulating experimentation opportunities based on open-source hardware
- 3D CAD design and how to construct solid models, assemblies, and detail drawings using a feature-based parametric design CAD programme.
As the career opportunities for quantum-savvy professionals grow, quantum-focused organisations will be looking to expand their workforce with experts who know how to handle system-designs involved in quantum technology (such as electronics and photonics), so our cutting-edge MSc will give you a competitive edge in the employment market.
With a mixture of hard and soft skills plus scientific and commercial acumen, you’ll be well-placed to drive the future of quantum technology.
Quantum Technology Fast Track PG Dip (online)
To receive this Postgraduate Diploma, you’ll need to complete all eight modules from Carousel 1 and Carousel 2 for a total of 120 credits, which will take a minimum of one year to complete.
This qualification blends the foundational, business-focused elements of Carousel 1 with the advanced scientific teachings of Carousel 2, giving you a comprehensive understanding of how emerging quantum technologies work, and how they can be commercialised and implemented in a business environment.
This qualification is perfect for you if:
- you want to explore quantum technologies in more depth from both a scientific and commercial perspective, and you’re able to commit to a longer length of study. You’ll likely already have a solid understanding of quantum physics, but this quantum technology course could help you decide whether you’d like to pursue quantum research or move into the commercial sector
- you’re an existing professional with experience in implementing quantum technologies, so the eight modules from both carousels will offer you everything you need to develop your skills further and gain some additional transferable skills.
Advanced Quantum Technology and Applications PG Cert (online)
For this Postgraduate Certificate, you’ll need to complete the four modules listed in Carousel 2 for a total of 60 credits, which will take a minimum of six months to complete.
This carousel is comprised of four science-focused modules that each cover a main area of quantum technology applications, so you’ll develop a deep understanding of the scientific theory behind quantum technology.
This qualification is perfect for you if:
- you want to advance your existing scientific knowledge but can’t commit to the time requirements of a longer course. You likely already have an existing scientific background and may have already studied physics or engineering, so you’re looking to hone your skills further
- you’re a researcher already employed within a small or large organisation, and a quantum technology qualification could be just what you need to take the next step in your career, or it could help you decide whether you’d like to pursue a PhD
- you have a strong business background – perhaps you run your own business, or you’re a senior leader at an established organisation, and you’re looking to harness the power of quantum technology. You may have a basic understanding of quantum physics, but an advanced quantum technology course is just what you need to develop your knowledge further so you can confidently implement quantum-focused strategies in your organisation.
Foundation of Quantum Technology Management PG Cert (online)
This Postgraduate Certificate requires you to complete the four modules listed in Carousel 1 for a total of 60 credits. It will take a minimum of six months to complete.
The modules in this carousel are introductory, and cover the foundations of quantum physics, providing you with a common language to discuss quantum physics and technology. The carousel also has a business-focused component, so you’ll learn about emerging quantum technology markets and begin to develop the commercial skills to be able to move technology from the laboratory to the marketplace.
This qualification is perfect for you if:
- you want to join the quantum conversation but can’t commit to the time requirements of a longer course. You’re not necessarily looking to become an expert, but you want to develop your quantum awareness to engage meaningfully with other professionals
- you support quantum-focused professionals. Perhaps you work as a Product Manager, Marketing Manager, or Government Technology Officer and you need to use the language of quantum to forge strong relationships with different stakeholders, manage projects and expectations, or influence policy and investment.
With this Postgraduate Certificate, you’ll get an overview of the world of quantum technology and gain insight into emerging trends while developing the skills needed to succeed in this exciting and rapidly growing sector.
Find out more about our pathways today, so you can lead tomorrow.
Click the image below to expand.
Did you enjoy this blog? Here’s some related quantum technology content you may be interested in:
Want to learn more about our online Quantum Technology Applications and Management Masters?